Friday, January 11, 2013

A Homemade Christmas 2

This year we decided to make some of our Christmas gifts again. It's always fun to make gifts, but it can also be very stressful coming up with ideas and then trying them for the first time not knowing if they will work or not. Fortunately, we had some great successes this year. You can also check out last years Homemade Christmas.

I was inspired to do these by something I saw in Hobby Lobby (LOVE that place!!!). The picture I saw was a very large wall hanging, so I decided to do my own version scaled down a bit.  I took the glass out of the frames and used Mod Podge with scrapbook paper for the background.  I bought the wooden letters and small clothespins at Hobby Lobby and painted them with acrylic paint.  I added water to the paint to give the letters more of a stained look. I attached it to the twine and there you have it.  I did glue the letters and the clothespins down to make it more permanent especially with wrapping them.

I bought these small wooden boxes from Hobby Lobby and painted them black.  Then I printed out family photos and used Mod Podge for the top.  I got the tutorial for the necklaces here.   I bought the tile pendents and Diamond Glaze from etsy like it suggests in the tutorial.  I printed out pictures for the necklaces on an inkjet printer. The problem with this is the ink will start to run and make your picture look terrible when you put the Diamond Glaze on it. To keep this from happening, I took clear packing tape and put it on both sides of the picture before glueing it to protect it.  It worked perfectly.

I bought the bracelet kit here. I printed out old and new family photos in black and white. Again, used the packing, and glued it using Diamond Glaze.

I found the headband tutorial here. I love this headband. I can't wait to make some more that I get to keep!

For this gift, I had to sneak on my dad's computer and get some photos that he took this summer while he and my mom were in Europe. I bought 8x10 canvas and some gel medium. I printed out the pictures. You will probably want to flip the picture on the computer before you print them because they go on the canvas backwards.  When I was doing research for this project I noticed everyone said to use a laser printer.  I don't have a laser printer and decided they didn't know what they were talking about.  I have now learned that they were right. Inkjet printers do not work for this project. I repeat, inkjet printers DO NOT work for this project! So, I printed them off my inkjet and took them down to Office Depot to make laser copies.
Once you have your laser copy, cover the canvas with your gel medium. Place the photo face down on the gel medium. Smooth out all the wrinkles and let it dry overnight (or at least 6 hours).  Once it is dry, use a spray bottle and spray water on it. Use your fingers to start rubbing away the paper. This process will take AT LEAST 30 minutes. I think the first one I did took me 1 hour. It will seem impossible to get all the little paper pieces off, but keep rubbing and you will eventually get it all off. Just be careful not to rub so hard that the picture starts coming off. Finally, when all the paper is off, you are left with your picture on the canvas! Cover it with gel medium to seal it and you are done. I love how these turned out! I will definitely be making many more of these for my house!

I bought these mugs at the Dollar Store. I bought this marker and wrote their name on the mug along with an encouraging word or something we love about them. We filled the mugs with candy.  For some of the mugs we also put hot chocolate mix and marshmallows, and for the others we put some Starbucks Via packs and biscotti.

For the cookies, we took Oreos and dipped them in melted white chocolate chips and then in crushed candy canes.  They were so yummy!

So there it is, another Homemade Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment